BENEATH THE VOID by Elisa Dane
Sadie Reynolds is drowning.
Months have passed since Ian Daniels and Newton Daily opened fire at Atwood High school, killing dozens of students before turning the guns on themselves.
Determined to pay tribute to her fallen classmates and teachers, Sadie’s thrown herself into the memorial project at the newly rebuilt school. But it’s not enough. Horrific dreams of the shooting intertwined with memories of the night her mother was murdered keep her up at night and haunt her during the day.
The constant stream of hate raining down on her from faceless social media trolls only make matters worse. Her boyfriend, Hayden brings the only source of relief when he sneaks in to sleep next to her on nights her dad is at work.
Desperate for normalcy, Sadie fills every waking moment of her day with anything to take her mind off her pain. If she’s exhausted, she’ll be too tired to acknowledge the new threat gunning for her.
BENEATH the VOID is book 2 in Elisa Dane’s Fighting Chance series, a hard-hitting and unapologetically raw look at teen violence in schools and the aftermath of learning to pick up the pieces and heal.
Beneath the Void is a highly emotional and frankly honest read.
Beneath the Void picks up where book 1, In the After, ends. Sadie is throwing herself into work and a memorial project to honor the victims of the shooting. She’s doing anything she can to deal with the grief and guilt she feels. She relies on Hayden, her uber-supportive and super-awesome boyfriend. He is concerned, but stands by her through it all, supporting her and loving her.
I think the thing I liked about this book most is the honesty and frankness Elisa Dane uses in writing this story. Unfortunately, the plot is not fiction. School shooting have happened and continue to be a real threat. I appreciate the way Dane takes care to add reality to the book. Sadie is clearly feeling Survivors’ Guilt, which is a real thing. Dane does not shy away from the difficult topics and that is what makes this book stand out.
Along with all of the above, the relationship between Sadie and Hayden is really sweet.
This is not a standalone and book 1 should be read first.
A fantastic YA read that I highly recommend!
Hello, and thank you for having me today! When I learned today’s post would be a character interview, I knew I wanted to ask Sadie some fun questions. Her schedule is pretty busy due to school, work, and coaching Atwood’s newest dance team, so I wasn’t able to interview her in person. I did, however, email her some questions which she most graciously answered. Let’s get to them!
- What’s your favorite reality show? I’m currently obsessed with Are You The One on MTV. It’s complete trash, let’s just be honest. But, it’s sooooo good! Watching other people’s drama helps me to escape my own J
- Could you give up technology for a week? Um… that would be a resounding NO! Technology let’s me connect with Hayden now that we aren’t able to see each other as much as we used to. I’m not about to give up anything that allows me to talk to my guy.
- What’s the most played song on your iPad? Right now, I’d have to say probably Cheap Thrills by Sia. I love her. I used to listen to Elastic Heart on repeat. The girl has pipes!
- Would you rather use eye drops made out of gasoline, or TP made from gritty sandpaper? Ugh! Seriously? What the hell kind of question is this? Neither! Pass!
- Who is your celebrity crush? I’ll answer this one! Stephen Amell. The dude is fuck hot!
- What’s your favorite thing about Hayden? This one is easy too! His heart. I’ve never met anyone with such a beautiful heart. He’s giving, always thinks of others before himself, and he’s hotter than Mr. Amell above J
Elisa Dane loves books, chocolate, reality television, her family, and All Star Cheerleading. Not necessarily in that order! She writes contemporary YA romance with cheerleaders. Yep. She writes what she knows, and it’s her hope that her
stories will not only take you on a romantic journey that will warm your heart, but that you’ll find a new respect for the sport of All Star Cheerleading you may not have had before. She’s represented by Brittany Booker of the Booker/Albert Agency, and has published a NA paranormal series under her real name, Lisa Sanchez.
Win a $10 Amazon gift card and an eBook copy of BENEATH THE VOID.
a Rafflecopter giveaway